Iyabo Ojo, a Nigerian Nollywood actress, took to Instagram on Sunday to share her experiences of surviving as a single mother and being treated as a second-class citizen due to her failed marriage with her 5 million followers.
According to the actress, she would never stop expressing her deepest gratitude to God for her life and the challenges she overcame in a lengthy caption on a video she shared on her page.
Iyabo Ojo recalled how, as a result of her failed marriage, people in the film industry and the wider world called her a variety of derogatory names. She also made it known that whenever she tries to tell her story, people describe her as having no morals, unfit to be a model, talkative, and a clout chaser.
Who am I that I am not mindful of your blessings ,
I’m never going to stop appreciating you Lord, I’m never going to stop thanking you lord🙏
THINGS I OVER CAME
This world 🌎 most especially this country Nigeria, i was treated so unjustly bcos of the circumstances and choices i made to better the life of my children.
1) I became a 2nd class citizen immediately my marriage failed, a trillion times the hate, the bully, the curses, the unapologetic horrible rejections, it was massive from my society, my people, my country, being a single mom was like living in a foreign land with no papers, thanks to the media writing and creating false narrative about me just made it more worse, the word prostitute became my 👑
2) choosing an acting career was like finding yourself in a crime scene you had no business being there, it became a confirmation that i was irresponsible, a whore & fame was the reason why i left my marriage 🤔
3) Acting in my language (Yoruba) o my world!!!!!! made matters worse, i was tageed local & unworthy to associate with the so-called elite, it was a big deal, even when i spoke the little english i understood, people couldn’t hide their shock 🤣 even till today we’re underated, yeyebrity is our nickname 🤣
.. but listen young ones …. Local is Original, stay true to your culture bcos that’s your identity 💯
4) i was not expected to have a voice, i was a single mother, i had no morals, unworthy to be called a role model .. 🙈
5) & yes sharing my story on the internet labelled me talkative & cloutino 🤣
But if i had stayed & the deed had been done, you all would’ve been quick to shifting the blame on the dead ….. don’t forget our society created this Fear, the Stigma, the Mockery, the labeling which is not for the faint at heart….
We need to do better as a society…… who never fuk up hands ✋️ in the air
……. Staying true to myself, building a strong wall around my heart and growing in my inner strength and my children has gotten me this far & today I’m a success story
I will continue to tell my story to encourage alot of mothers out there … You can & will win in the end🏆 💪